Saturday night, my brother-in-law offered to stay with the kids after they were in bed so Joanne and I could go play in Austin. We had so much fun, and it was so nice to be childless for a few hours! (Thanks, Daniel.)
Standing on the "bat bridge" in downtown Austin. (You can see the capitol building really small in the background).
Bats. See the "flock" of bats across the sky? It was incredible. A steady stream of bats shot out from under the bridge for 45 minutes. There are 1.5 million bats living under this bridge. Crazy!!
Pita Pit. I got a falafel pita. So good! The taste of falafel will forever make me homesick for Jerusalem.After we finished dinner, we got smoothies and walked the main street in downtown Austin. Our destination was a billiard hall, where we played darts. Very fun! (Except for the men who could not get it through their thick skulls that we were not interested in playing doubles. Teach us to go to a billiard hall without our husbands!)
As we were walking, before our game of darts, we passed a couple of men standing outside a bar. One of them held up his hand and said, "High five!" to me. Gross. Like I'm going to touch some strange beer-bellied man's hand on the street. So, I kind of shrugged and ducked under his hand. He immediately said, "Stuck-up Candy Cane!" and then thought of an even better one, and followed that by saying, "You fat Candy Cane!" I laughed hard. I will never be able to wear that shirt (which Joanne gave me as a Texas souvenir) without thinking, "You fat Candy Cane!" If I were fat, I might be offended. (Joanne apparently was slightly offended for me. She said she's never been so close to flipping someone off.)



3 comments:
Ooh, I forgot all about the candy cane guy when I did my post. I will have to go back and put a link from mine to yours so people can get the full scoop. Now I'm laughing just remembering it - you're right, you know, that you'll probably never wear that shirt without thinking of it.
And yes, I did feel like flipping them off, but just so everyone knows, that is not something I regularly do. Or have ever done, actually. (In fact, that's one of the reasons I didn't, because I wasn't exactly sure how to go about doing it). Just so you all don't get the wrong idea about me.
that's so funny, bek. i'm glad joanne was able to restrain herself.
i'm not totally sure about the bat thing. they sort of creep me out. do they ever fly at people and bite them?
I can't believe that guy called you a candy cane- it makes me laugh at the poor guy's intellect. And when I first saw your shirt in the picture before reading the post, I thought "what cute girls" and candy cane never even entered my brain.
Post a Comment