Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Valentines' Day!

On Saturday, Mariah and I made pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes to decorate for Valentines' Day. I saw on my cousin's blog the great idea to pre-measure everything for a toddler to help with cooking. Mariah loves helping me in the kitchen; a few extra little bowls to wash is a good trade-off for less mess and stress. I prepared everything during M's nap, and she was delighted when I told her I needed her to help me make a treat.


She loved pouring in all the little bowls of stuff.


She was also a great taster.


And she helped with the dishes.


After a quick run to the store for sprinkles, we decorated.





Mariah made this one for Dad. (The red under all the sprinkles says "Dad.")


I saw this idea in a Costco magazine. Mine, of course, is not as pretty as theirs, but it was fun.



I had to keep replenishing Laney's frosting, so she could dip every little piece of cupcake. She was pretty pleased about it.


Saturday afternoon we got a very fun Valentines' package ("parcel," as Mariah calls them) in the mail from Grandma Shaunna and co.


Mariah wanted to hang all the Valentines on the wall.


This was Valentines' Day breakfast. French toast with fresh raspberry syrup, hashbrowns, and orange juice. (The one nice thing about having Church in the afternoon is the freedom to make a big breakfast.)

5 comments:

Joanne said...

I love all the Valenine's day fun. Pre-measuring for kids to help is a great idea. And I love Mariah's final decorated cupcake for Mike. Your creation was awesome, too. Wow! And I love how Mariah calls packages "parcels" and still wears that purple princess dress everywhere. I think I'm coming to your house next Valentine's day so I can get a fancy breakfast like that. Very impressive.

Also, Laney's expression of pure joy over the frosting/cupcake is so cute!

Lisa said...

I love it! You know, with Valentine's Day on Sunday this year, we were total bums. And these are all things I could do on our limited budget and have fun! (Although Jonathan isn't mature enough to even pour pre-measured things into a bowl) I'm regretting bumming out!

Matt and Suzanne said...

How fun is that?! Such cute and creative ideas. Hope you are feeling better! Don't hesitate to call if you need ANYTHING!!!

Eliza said...

yep, this makes me feel a bit bad for doing NOTHING for valentine's day. to my credit though, we had a little shin dig the day before for the blessing and baptism. your kids look like they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Shaunna said...

...so fun to see what happens to the parcel once it arrives! It's fun to be there in spirit! Thanks, Bekah, for documenting things for us. (and thanks for being our valentines!!)