Friday, June 1, 2012

My Baby is 2!!

Sarah Sally Sue turned 2 a couple weeks ago. Crazy! She is such a fun (and funny) girl! She was born a month after Mariah's diagnosis came crashing down on us, and I wondered sometimes why in the world we were having another baby then. Two years later, I know exactly why. I needed a baby who needed me and knew she needed me, one who would trust me completely, and one who would cuddle and snuggle. I need my Sal Bug every day, but some days, she's the one who keeps me going; the one who reminds me I can do this mom thing. I'm capable of forming an attachment with a child. In fact, when I'm thinking clearly and haven't completely lost my whits and my patience, I can see, in my natural responses to Sally, how I need to respond to Mariah (and Elaine, for that matter).

I can't believe my baby's 2!

The girls gave her their presents first thing in the morning.



Mike and I gave her this rocker.


After church and an early dinner, we had a little party. We invited a couple from our ward (she's the one who babysits for me, bless her).


Pigs Love Potatoes, from Grandma Orva and Grandpa Paul.








Possibly the greatest birthday moment for me was the throwing-away-the-pacifiers ceremony. Both Elaine and Sal did it together. (Yes, Elaine still had a pacifier at naps and night. And yes, she's almost 4. And, yes, we have issues.) A couple days before Sal's birthday, we told them the pacifiers were making their teeth crooked (which was true), and we'd stop using them on Sally's birthday. The first few nights were rough, and Elaine hasn't slept during naps since then, but oh, it's lovely. The most unexpected side effect is Elaine's cheerfulness. I don't really get why, but she has been a different child since then. Far fewer tantrums. The change happened overnight. Maybe she feels like an alcoholic, freed from the addiction. I don't get it, but I love it.

A couple nights later, Elaine said she couldn't fall asleep without a pacifier. I suggested we say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help her learn to sleep without one. I decided to do the same with Sally. The next night, Elaine said, "Mom, it's ok, because now I know Heavenly Father helps me go to sleep without my pacifier." She hasn't said anything more about it.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

What a beautiful little blessing she is for you.

Joanne said...

She is such a cute birthday girl! I love the video when she was so thrilled about getting the box, and then she thought the paper was the present and she was still pretty excited about it. And then of course, when she saw the actual present, she wanted to try the slippers on right away - that's exactly what Cindy would do (whenever she sees any exciting shoes, she yells out "wear 'em, wear 'em!"). I need to get her some slippers because those are so cute and maybe she could actually put them on herself.