Thursday, May 3, 2012

Bonjour Butterfly

The girls and I went to the park this morning and met the friendliest little butterfly! He landed on the hem of my shorts and stayed there while we admired him. Then Mariah and Elaine were trying to get him to climb onto their fingers. Elaine was the lucky one! He stayed on her finger for a few seconds until a very eager Mariah scared him away. She was so disappointed. She said, "I just really wish I were Elaine!" Ever since reading Fancy Nancy Bonjour Butterfly (years ago) she has wanted so badly for a butterfly to land on her finger. Anytime butterflies are around (or might be), she holds out her finger as we walk along, or she'll gather a bunch of weeds/flowers and hold them up, hoping a butterfly will accept her offering.

I hated to see her so disappointed, but trying to be a good sport. The butterfly was still kind of hanging around, and I offered up a little prayer that Mariah might get a turn. Well, that little butterfly came and landed on me again, and I was able to help Mariah get him onto her finger. She was so pleased! I took my phone out and took a picture. Then it was Elaine's turn to be disappointed because she didn't have a picture with the butterfly.

I thought for sure the little guy had had enough, but he came back, and both Elaine and Mariah were able to hold him again. Sally also said she wanted to, but she has a thing with bugs and started shaking and getting the willies as soon as I brought the butterfly close.









These videos were accidental, so they're very short, but still fun:


3 comments:

Marian said...

oh, i'm so happy for mariah that the butterfly came back! it almost made me tear up to read the story. tender mercy. what a neat butterfly to keep coming back!

Joanne said...

I was thinking the exact same thing as Marian - I'm so happy for Mariah that the butterfly came back. That would have been almost too hard to bear, especially because of her love for the butterfly Fancy Nancy story. It's even better because you got both pictures and accidental video - now they'll always remember. What an awesome butterfly, to make everyone's day like that.

Orva said...

He's got the little bitty butterfly in His hand, He's got the itsy bitsy Mariah in His hand, He's got the whole world in His hand!